It’s great to have the talent to answer the question “why do you want this position” during an interview. With the right preparation, you can answer aptly and of course honestly in order to convince the interviewer that you are really interested in this position and create a positive image and a good relationship!
A different way you may be asked is “why do you want to work for us”, “what made you apply for this position” or “why do you want to join our team”.
The reason people in charge ask these questions is to see what your professional goals are, what your motivations are, your priorities and if you have a real interest in the position that will make you committed to that role.
They also want to see if you are confident so they can rely on you and build on the work you will offer.
In order to answer correctly and accurately the question “Why do you want this position”, we would suggest the following:
- Have studied the ad very well so that you know the duties of the position, the role and what exactly the right candidate will do. Knowing well the responsibilities of the position makes you able to explain exactly why you really want this position and describe how these tasks are really interesting to you. Be prepared and think in advance about what you will answer and how you will show that you have studied the position.
- Have paid attention to the skills mentioned in the ad so that you can talk in turn about the skills you have and how they are common to the skills of the role. Explain what won you over in the job description and how your skills can benefit the company.
- Talk about what you know about corporate culture and how you fit into it as a personality. Of course, you could talk about the company’s products and services and show enthusiasm for the advantages they offer to consumers. To do this, make sure you have read on the company’s website the vision, goals, history, operation, products and services they offer.
- Emphasize your professional development by talking about how you imagine yourself in the company, how you can contribute to the goals of the team so as to give the person in charge to understand that you are excited about the current job and that the possibilities of development along the way are something you look forward to gaining in the future.
- Talk about your achievements and narrate things you have already achieved on a professional level but also in other fields such as sports, art, volunteering. Talking about your distinctions certainly helps to create a good impression.
If you want more tips on your preparation before an interview, we suggest you visit BCA Career Office!